With my first real race in over a year coming up in a few days, I thought it might be fun to recount some of the more stupid things done right before or during a race. All of these were either done by me or a friend. I'll leave names out however!
1. After training using orthotics for the previous several years, decided to not use them at the big race to save a few ounces. Result - wicked calf cramps because of the lower heel height. DNF.
2. Needed to lose weight before the season's big 100 miler, so started drinking out of streams in hopes of catching Giardia. Plan went perfectly, except didn't get the inevitable Giardia till the week of the race. Result - DNF.
3. Booked Airline flight for the wrong day. Result - Still got there, but way more money.
4. After being out of town for a week, forgot watch was still on Pacific Time. Missed the start by an hour. Result - Ran very hard trying to make up for it and ended up DNF.
5. A fever of over 100 at the start. Started anyway. Result - DNF.
6. Wore camelbak on outside of jacket during a long winter snow shoe race. Hose froze within 1 mile. Result - no liquid for 4 hours. Most unpleasant race ever.
7. At race start, removed sweat pants to find...no running shorts. Result - embarassment.
8. At first 50 miler, wore old racing flats to save weight. Result - see #1.
9. At race start, too cold to worry about sunscreen. Result - looked like a lobster at awards ceremony the next morning.
10. The night before the race, stayed at friends' house and ate pig that was cooked in a backyard pit and drank homemade beer. Result - Three "number 2" bathroom stops in the marathon. Lost by 1:20. Do the math!
11. ???? What's your best screw-up?
Good luck to everyone running WTC, Salida, Coyote 2 Moon, etc. this weekend.